I am a New Zealander wanting to clarify some travel plans for next month regarding my F1 visa to alleviate some anxiety!
Current itinerary is:
- Fly NZ-US, enter on VWP ~60 days before class starts (with a return ticket) to visit friends/spend time with my partner.
- Refund my return ticket once I’ve arrived.
- Fly US-Mexico for a weekend ~25 days before class starts (such that I can re-enter on F1).
- Fly Mexico-US, enter on F1 visa.
My main questions are:
- Will there be issues flying to/from Mexico? I see from many other posts
that technically on the VWP you must not terminate your travel in Canada, Mexico or nearby Islands. Is this relevant? as I will re-enter on a F1 visa, not via the VWP.
- I know that travel to Canada/Mexico/nearby Islands count as part of the 90 day ESTA limit, so will the days keep on accumulating once I re-enter on the F1 and eventually exceed 90? as I never technically left by this definition.
- Will I be able to re-enter the US after only ~2days in Mexico?
Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!