My wifi adapter regularly disconnects me from the internet, and when I am connected, it presents issues.
A flow of what will generally happen is below.
- I’m using the Internet with little to no issue, when I suddenly lose connection. This loss of connection presents as me being still connected to the network, but I am unable to ping the router (10.0.0.1).
- I disconnect and reconnect, and I remain unable to connect to the router. In Wireshark, I have debugged this by attempting to ping the router and watching ICMP and ARP traffic. An ARP request gets issued by the router asking for my IP each ping. My computer sends an ARP response, indicating that my IP can be found at my MAC address (this information is correct). My computer then receives no ICMP response.
- I change from 2.4 GHz to dual band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz) or vice versa. This usually fixes it (mostly). When going to dual band, the results of me pinging my router often look something like this, though sometimes packets may be dropped entirely.
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=609ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=1694ms TTL=64 Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=64
- Sometimes this doesn’t work. I then manually reconfigure my adapter to use a static IP (same IP as assigned via DHCP) and configure the router accordingly. This generally works, but sometimes I still experience connectivity issues.
Sometimes, rather than stating that I’m connected but can’t ping the router, the computer will tell me that it can’t connect to the network at all.
I have downloaded Vistumbler to take a look at the nearby networks for channel interference, but I’m not seeing much. My network shows up as having between 85% and 100% signal.
Other devices in the same area (and even a separate USB wifi adapter in the same PC) were able to connect just fine.
I have tried resetting all adapters on my computer, completely forgetting the network, running the windows troubleshooter, and playing around with a few settings, and nothing seems to fix this. xFinity is the network provider, and the router is the default xFi router.