So I have a laptop with model ASUS 553v using Ubuntu 20.04, no dual boot. There are problems when started booting and when it successfully booted then randomly crashes.
Problems when booting:
- Randomly goes to BIOS ez mode from ASUS, but cannot go to GRUB and
start the OS, just looping to BIOS again.
- Randomly stuck in the ASUS logo and the fan starts to sound really noisy
- (I don’t know if it is a problem) It always shows this error when booting. For detail, I typed the repeating messages
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (Firmware Bug): ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. /dev/sda2: recovering journal /dev/sda2: Clearing orphaned inode
Problems when successfully booting:
- System suddenly crashes and my screen becomes like this after a random amount of time.
- Doesn’t crash but cannot open any apps including the terminal. (This usually leads to problem 1)
- Doesn’t crash but directed to Ubuntu Login UI and looped there. (This usually leads to problem 1)
- It crashes when I open a game using SteamOS with Vulkan running, the error says something about read-swap error. (I forgot to take a pic of it, and now almost of the time my laptop fails to boot)
What I’ve tried:
- I tried upgrading my kernel using UK Tools but it failed due to dpkg problem for the Linux header and I am confused so I stopped trying to upgrade it.
- I tried to go to initramfs in the booting phase then run
fsck -f /dev/sda2it took really long the first time so I restart the laptop for some reason and then I try it again and wait like about 10 hours but still it’s not fixed.
- I tried updating my firmware (though I don’t know what firmware) through Ubuntu Software GUI, but it failed to update it.
I really don’t understand much about OS and I know I might have made my laptop condition worse, but please can someone help me, I’m desperate :(. I also have the thought that all this happened because of my poor quality and old HDD because of this page and I don’t know how to upgrade my firmware or kernel manually.
Please tell me how to fix my laptop, or do I need to change my harddisk and all this problem gone? Thx in advance.