frequently asked Questions
Q: How long have you been in business?
A: We were first established in 2012. This is our eighth year of operation and we have received consistently good ratings.
Q: How long does it take for my account to be set up?
A: Accounts are automatically set up by our system immediately upon receipt of payment. If you do not receive your hosting account details within 5 minutes of receiving your payment, please send a ticket to our technical support for further assistance.
Q: If I update my account, will the discounts be transferred?
A: Yes, the discounted rate will remain valid even if you update your account.
Q: Have your prices been adjusted / fixed in place of cPanel's recent price increase?
A: Yes, our prices have already been increased slightly (~ 5-10%) to account for cPanel's price increase. Despite further price increases by cPanel, there will be no further adjustments to our prices. If you compare our past and current prices, you will find that we did not use a tricky reaction, as was the case with some other providers. This is because we have never understood ourselves as a budget provider and have always marketed ourselves to the merits of our service quality.
Q: Are you a reseller / do you own servers?
A: No, we are not a reseller. We have full root access to all of our infrastructures (hosting servers, backup servers, filter servers, etc.) and demonstrate this by using exactly the same configurations (ie software features, server resource assignments, server hostnames, etc) in all of our hosting systems .) use sites that a reseller can not. Direct forwarding means that you get better and faster support quality because you do not have to wait for the middle man to forward the message between you and the upstream.
Q: Which place is best for me?
A: Good question! There is no place that meets all needs, as it really depends on where the visitors to your site come from. Even CloudFlare can only cache about 65% of the content of your website, which means that the other 35% of your site content is still served by the web server. Therefore, choosing the right location is extremely important to ensure a fast web page load. Since you and your requirements are unique and important to us, please submit a sales ticket and tell us the requirements of your website / company. We are happy to assist you in choosing the most suitable hosting location.
Q: May I use all of my assigned resources?