My Macbook was stolen last week. I need a new one for work, but I'm currently stuck in France until May 8 to fly back to the US.
It seems to me that I have two choices, both with big negative consequences:
- Buy a new or used Macbook in France
- I'm pretty sure I have to pay customs fees when I enter the US because it was bought in France
- If new, you will have to pay a French tax of 20% (TVA) on the original product and the US customs duty
- Buy new, ship to my parents in the USA, have them sent to me in France
- If you receive the package, you will have to pay French customs tax (20% or more?).
In both cases, I see no way to get a new laptop without paying taxes twice, And I just can not afford that. Is there a way to buy a new or used Macbook without having to pay absurd taxes in both countries?