I'm migrating from a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to a Redmi Note 3, which I unlocked with the bootloader and updated to Android Pie.
Whenever I try to use the account already in use by the Samsung device, I get an error message because (allegedly) the installed Google Play Services or the Android version are lower than the supported ones (see screenshot below). The error message reads "Update required … This device requires newer software". Before this screen appears, I'll soon see ("Parental Permission") the screen I would expect to connect this (second) device to the Family Link parent app.
This bug should not be displayed because Android Pie is much more up-to-date than the required Android 5 and my game services are version 19.x.
These are my previous attempts:
- have tried different custom Android Pie ROMs (Pixel Experience, liquid, aex, …). All of them show the same effect.
- Flashed Pico, Micro and Stock Opengapps, makes no difference
- Checked date and time to make sure they are up to date
- went to Settings / Apps and cleared cache and more (did not help)
- Checks if Google Play Servics is working with a diagnostic program (these are detected and have a recent version)
- Play Services updated with APK by apkmirror (same effect)
- Instead of linking the account in the setup agent, I skipped that part and linked (or tried) the account via Settings / Accounts.
None of them helped.