We had planned a short vacation from Germany to Milan from Monday to Thursday.
Around 130 cases of the corona virus have been found in northern Italy and 11 smaller towns have been quarantined. The nearest is about 60 km from Milan.
Flight and hotel were booked together by opodo, we did not add any insurance when booking.
We tried to call opodo today (Sunday), but were in the queue until the hotline was closed. It will reopen at 8 a.m.
To reach our flight, we would have to leave at 6 a.m. and take the train.
Is this an outbreak? near the goal enough to have an additional cancellation right and get a refund?
I take the virus seriously, but I also believe that with a few precautions, the risk of infection should be low enough. And on the other hand, most of the attractions will likely be much emptier, no queues. But the risk is not zero and I don't want to get stuck there if they decide to quarantine Milano too.
In my view, we have the following options:
Leave at 6, take the flight.
Departure at 6 a.m., but call opodo at the airport before boarding and request a refund.
Wait for more information, call them at 8:00 a.m., and then drive there if we think it is safe enough and will not receive a refund. After that I will go somewhere else anyway and the others can take the flight back.
Wait until 8 a.m. and request a refund. If we don't have them, the money will be lost, but at least we won't be trapped in a foreign city.