paperwork – Buying a left-hand drive car in the UK for long European road trips

I live in the UK and have family in Salzburg, Austria. Whenever I see a cheap flight to Munich or Salzburg (before covid) I fly across the weekend and rent a car. I’m adding up my rental costs over the last 2 years and I could buy a car!

Owning a car in Austria is expensive. The cars are more expensive and I am placed in the highest insurance category (1-9) which works out at approximately 250eur per month. In Austria the cost of insurance is also linked to engine size…bigger engine more cost.

I’m thinking of getting a second hand left hand drive car in the UK, insuring it for 12mth European cover and then driving across and leaving it in Austria. That way whenever I go I have a car to use. I am being quoted £300 per yr for European 12 months insurance. I plan to drive the car back once per year for the MOT and renewal of the insurance.

Is there a better way to do this? I have seen some good left hand drive cars but they are still registered in Spain/France etc. The UK registered cars lights have been modified as have the speedometer.

Paperwork – refugee trips to the UK

You need to apply for a visa. The United Kingdom does not issue visas at the border and people who use travel documents for 1951 conventions are not eligible for a visa-free entry because the United Kingdom suspended its participation in the European Agreement on the Abolition of Visa for Refugees in 2003 .

dnd 5e – How do I deal with long trips?

The original question "How do I deal with long trips?" sounds a bit too idea-generating. Instead, I ask the following question:

What is the purpose of walking through the long, threatening forest?

What do you hope to support the plot by getting the players to walk through this forest? Especially when you consider

… I didn't really plan anything big on this street.

  • Are you trying to get them to use up resources?
  • Are you trying to give them the opportunity to play role playing games over time?
  • Are you trying to give a feeling of fear? From the distance?

Most overland trips are pretty boring ("Are we there yet?"). So if you don't have a well-designed purpose, skip it. Why go through boredom?

It sounds like they're walking through the forest just to walk through a forest. You can just wave most of it by hand.

Incidentally, the technique I generally use is based on something I've seen in Critical Role: use a success / failure indicator.

It's pretty easy:

  • For a particular trip, choose a series of successful nature / survival tests (you can use one or both) that players must pass to reach their destination. Having a lot of checks doesn't mean that the distance is longer. just harder to stay on course.
  • Each test should represent a period of time. For example, each check is worth an hour's walk (can be any length). However, it takes a set time to measure day / night, spell duration, etc.
  • Success means that you are on the right path, and failure means that you are off the path.
  • The DC can change any exam (just start it, but the more difficult it is the further you are from civilization).
  • Have an encounter at each checkpoint *
  • In the event of ultimate success, the party achieved its goal

(*) An encounter doesn't mean a fight. It could just be a strange sight, or the remains of past travelers, or a trigger for another side quest, or anything else you want. I have created a list of 100 "encounters" with a mixture of good, bad and indifferent possibilities. You can create separate lists of successes and failures.


  • reduces the whole thing: "You go. You go. You go." a long hike.
  • gives characters the opportunity to interact with each other
  • keeps players busy by always having something to do, even if they are just thinking about why so many insect carcasses are piled up on the side of the road.

dnd 5e – Can level trips be exchanged after the last errata is released?

Based on these questions and answers, it seems that Cantrips, RAW, cannot be exchanged at level-up like other spells (for classes that can exchange spells at level-up, such as wizards).

However, last night's game, some of my teammates mentioned to me that there were recent errata that officially allow cantrips to be exchanged like spells (basically, the conclusions were that the questions and answers linked above have now been refuted by errata ). .

I tried to search for these errata, but I can only find evidence to the contrary (i.e. support the linked questions and answers), but what I could find may not be the latest errata that my teammates were referring to .

Is what you say is true that there is an errata that allows this now, or have my teammates been wrong?

Online resources – website for organizing trips by truck

These are actually 2 questions.

Traveling by truck is possible. Just check out the blogs of some hitchhikers or meet them in person. Many truck drivers are bored and want to talk a little or earn a little more and don't mind taking some passengers with them.

Is it safe? If it weren't, you wouldn't meet a lot of people who do that. It's about trust and the ability to spot dangerous situations before they happen. But it is only with "normal" hitchhiking or coach surfing.

The feasibility of the website for this is the other problem, and in my opinion it is quite inappropriate. Since the truck drivers are usually hired by another company and do not work alone, they are not officially allowed to earn extra money by picking up some passengers or other things (although this practice can be tolerated to a reasonable extent) so that they can do not do this publicly (on the website).

If you want to make a selection, just wonder about a rest area or a highway restaurant and just ask if they could pick you up.

co.combinatorics – Connected graphs $ G $ with $ delta (G)> 1 $ and long round trips with minimal size

To let $ G = (V, E) $ be a finite, connected, simple, undirected graph. By a Round trip from $ G $ We mean a card $ r: {0, ldots, n } to V $ for some $ n in mathbb {N} $ with the following characteristics:

  1. $ r $ is surjective,
  2. $ {r (k), r (k + 1) } in E $ for all $ k in {0, ldots, n-1 } $, and
  3. $ r (0) = r (n) $.

The whole number $ n $ does that mean length the return trip $ r $. A simple inductive argument shows that we can choose $ n $ so that $ n leq 2 | V (G) | $. To let $ rho (G) $ indicate the minimum length of a return trip in $ G $.

To the $ k geq 1 $ To let $ { frak r} (k) $ the maximum $ rho (G) $ Where $ G = (V, E) $ is a connected graph with $ | V | = k $ and $ G $ has no degree peak $ 1 $. We have $ { frak r} (k) leq 2k $ for all positive integers $ k $.

Question. What is $$ lim sup_ {k to infty} frac {{ frak r} (k)} {k}? $$

(Note: I ask for $ lim sup $ Instead of $ lim $ because although I'm pretty sure the limit exists, I couldn't prove it.)

the strange – is it possible to translate on the spot after inappropriate trips?

When a creature travels over inappropriate means (inappropriate gate, dishes, straight from the stranger, etc.), it gets out of context when the laws of target recursion differ and begins to weaken (and possibly die).

If this happens to an accelerated person who is able to initiate translations between recursions, can that person initiate a translation to the recursion they are in to adapt to their context without traveling?

As a concrete example, suppose a player with the focus "Abides in Stone" (ie an actual golem) crashes through an inappropriate one-way gate to Earth that lacks the magic law for a golem to function, which means that this character would die within a few days. Could this character translate into the earth context (ie change focus and become human, if not already) without changing the recursion? Or would they have to travel (through translation or inapposite) to another recursion and then translate from there to Earth to get back into context?

dslr – Will a lens upgrade of the kit lens give me better colors on my backpacking trips?

"Better picture quality."

You use this sentence.

Enter image description here

If we say picture quality When comparing two lenses, we rarely speak of something in which one "… is less dark and provides more vivid colors". ¹

These things are more a function of light in the scene. The photographer's ability to see and capture this light while at the same time assembling the frame is so that our attention is directed to what the photographer wants to focus on and how information captured by the camera sensor is converted into an image. Increasing or decreasing the contrast, white balance, saturation, exposure, etc. have the most impact on the things you deal with.

The types of images you see on 500px, Flickr, or even Instagram that many people call "vivid" are usually not straight from camera JPEGs created with the camera's built-in development settings. These are raw images that have been processed with configurable applications such as Lightroom to make them look the way they do. They weren't usually caught in the hard midday light either.

If you switch from your 18-55 kit lens to an 18-100 zoom with a wider range, your photos will no less become darker or more vivid. Generally, an 18-55mm lens usually results better Image quality than with a similarly manufactured 18-100mm lens. The larger the range between the extreme values ​​of the focal length of a lens, the more difficult (and expensive) it is to produce a lens with high optical quality. But even if the 18-100mm lens has "better picture quality", it won't make any difference to the things you address in your question.

In terms of lenses, picture quality it's about things like accuracy ("sharpness"), geometric distortion, peripheral light decay, etc.

The whole point of one Interchangeable lens system The camera is said to allow you to use different lenses that are better or even great at one point, but unsuitable for other things. Fixed lens cameras force you to use a single lens that is mediocre or worse in many situations, but nothing better. It's not much different than using a fixed lens camera with a single lens camera when using a replaceable lens. In some cases, the fixed lens camera may meet your needs better than a single lens ILC.

The best lenses are all prime Lenses. That means a single focal length. No.Zoom.At.All. They are really good at providing the field of view and other features you need. This is because they can be optimized for a focal length. A good 100mm macro lens with a flat field of view differs from a good 85mm, 105mm or 135mm portrait lens. However, they are not very flexible, so you will need a lot for different things. Some are pretty good for not much money (e.g. EF 50mm f / 1.8 STM @ 120 USD). Others are incredibly good for a shipload of cash (e.g. EF 400mm f / 2.8 L IS II at $ 10,000). Most fall somewhere in between.

Compared to zoom lenses, prime lenses, in addition to the same or better optical quality at a lower price, can also be smaller / lighter, have a larger maximum aperture and can often be much cheaper.

Short ratio zoom lenses, i.e. H. Zoom lenses with a difference less than three times between the longest and the shortest focal length can also be very good. But the best cost a lot.

If you move outside the 3-fold limit, the image quality becomes noticeably worse. Some 4-5x zoom lenses that fall completely within the telephoto range can be pretty good. But if you try to design a lens that goes from wide-angle to telephoto and covers a zoom range of 5X-10X or more, it becomes really difficult to keep it affordable and manageable in size and weight, yet still provide excellent Picture quality. You typically get better image quality and spend less on something like an 18-55mm and 55-250mm pair of zoom lenses than on an 18-200mm all-in-one.

¹ Sure, we can measure the T-aperture (light transmission towards the aperture) of one lens against the other. We can measure how each lens affects contrast and color. In the "dark times" of the manual focus film era, these considerations were more important. We couldn't change the ISO or color sensitivity curves every time we took a single roll of film. In the darkroom, much more work (i.e. time and money) was needed to fine-tune color, contrast, etc. than we can now do with raw digital data. These very small differences in transmission and color can now be corrected easily after the picture has been taken. On the other hand, digital sensors are much flatter than films and can resolve more details than films with 35 mm sizes. We now expect a lot more from our lenses in terms of resolution than we did then. Most 35mm photos were never printed larger than 8×10 in the film age. Now we routinely look at everything we shoot under 100% pixel peeping viewing conditions, which is equivalent to enlarging to 60 x 40 (24 MP on a 23-inch HD monitor).

domestic trips – with tsa lock or not

My new luggage has a lock, which I naively thought was good. But after reading other people's experiences, I thought. Nothing valuable in my bag, free check-in of the luggage, just close everything with a zipper, as I always did on a short flight and forget the tsa lock. Had a brief moment of "stress" and thought about what "if" I can't open. Traveling twice a year is stressful, why add another component? Has anyone made a similar decision? Just zip it up?