From an architectural point of view, how to platforms such as Wix, Squarespace and Webflow work when it comes to translating “drag and drop” templates into a fully functioning HTML website.
- Are designs stored in raw HTML or in a native JSON format in the backend?
- How do they get transpiled in real-time so quickly when presented to the user?
My initial thoughts are as follows:
- The user builds a web page that is transformed into a descriptive JSON file.
- The JSON file is uploaded to the NodeJS server, which builds the HTML, CSS and JS.
- HTML, CSS and built (minified/concatenated) JS is stored in the database.
- When the user visits the URL of the site in question, retrieve the site from the database and transform it to something vieweable by the browser.