traveling to Schengenland while I renew my residence permit

I am a non-European student in Italy. My Permesso di soggiorno has expired and I have applied for renewal (I have the Poste Italiane reception in progress).

Can I travel to Denmark for Christmas with the following documents:

  • expired residence permit
  • passport
  • Received Poste Italiane (evidenced that I have requested the extension of the residence permit)?

Or do I need another document?