Using non homeland driver’s license and IDP in Japan

So I am a US Citizen, I have been living in Hong Kong now for 5 years. Being as I have no residence in the US, my license in the US has expired. I have been maintaining my license in Hong Kong, which I converted through Hong Kong’s license exchange program.

Soon I will be moving to Japan, and I’m having a lot of difficulty deciphering what I can and can’t do. Many references I am reading keep referring to the license as your “homeland”/”home country” license and IDP to determine validity. So essentially, would a license I obtained in Hong Kong, and an IDP I obtained in Hong Kong, despite not being a Hong Kong citizen, entitle me to being able to drive in Japan, and allow me to skip the training license and get a full license through the conversion program and test?