wi fi – Android 11 Wifi no internet, even though there is internet

Since approximately last weekend (I didn’t notice right away), I have a very annoying WiFi connection issue on Pixel 3a, Android 11. Android tells me that I have no internet connection through the WiFi network, but in Google Chrome (or Firefox), any pages not related to Google load just fine. google.com for example, and abc.xyz do not load. ourworldindata.org, android.stackexchange.com and superuser.com do also not load (details below, this is because they load stuff from fonts.googleapis.com or similar URLs). duckduckgo.com loads.

This issue is extremely annoying since apps by Google are also not working, so I don’t get new e-mails, the calendar does not synchronize and I cannot use Google Play, for example. I do only have very limited mobile data available which I use when I do not have access to WiFi, so I don’t want to simply switch to using mobile data (which works fine). I tried restarting the phone in safe mode (it first seemed to work, but the issue now also persists in safe mode) and uninstalling different apps from my phone, but while the issue disappeared sometimes for a few minutes, it came back every time.

I restarted the phone a lot of times, I deleted the WiFi network and reconnected, I tried setting the network rating provider to none and in general turning different WiFi settings off and on, and I slowly run out of ideas. WiFi works fine on my laptop connected to the same network. Resetting the router seemed to help first, but again the issue reappeared after a few minutes (just like after some of the restarts: sometimes it works for a few minutes but mostly it says no connection right after the device powered up). Connecting through a hotspot created using my laptop which uses the same WiFi network seems to work so far. Unfortunately, this is not a long-term solution. Also, the router is not easily accessible for me, so it’s difficult to debug router issues if this is a router issue. But the issue concerns only my phone (not the printer, not the laptop, nor devices of other users of the same network; it’s not a public WiFi network if anyone was wondering). Any ideas what else I could try?

Here are some screenshots made using chrome://inspect from trying to load different pages:

duckduckgo.com:

duckduckgo.com

(no issue)

ourworldindata.org:

ourworldindata.org

(issue here is loading Lato from fonts.googleapis.com)

supersuer.com:

superuser.com

(issue here is jquery.min.js from ajax.googleapis.com)

Some screenshots of how it looks on the phone (in German):

Loading duckduckgo.com, trying to load google.com (see address bar), and the same issue in safe mode:

working fine not working not working

Ping results:

***>adb shell ping google.com
PING google.com (216.58.207.142) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from muc11s03-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.207.142): icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=49.8 ms
64 bytes from muc11s03-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.207.142): icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=761 ms
64 bytes from muc11s03-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.207.142): icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=473 ms
64 bytes from muc11s03-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.207.142): icmp_seq=4 ttl=118 time=627 ms
^C
***>adb shell ping superuser.com
PING superuser.com (151.101.1.69) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=2003 ms
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=1000 ms
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=499 ms
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=981 ms
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=273 ms
64 bytes from 151.101.1.69: icmp_seq=6 ttl=59 time=1544 ms
^C

for comparison, this is how it looks if I ping directly from my laptop:

***>ping -4 google.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für google.com (216.58.207.142) mit 32 Bytes Daten:
Antwort von 216.58.207.142: Bytes=32 Zeit=6ms TTL=118
Antwort von 216.58.207.142: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=118
Antwort von 216.58.207.142: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=118
Antwort von 216.58.207.142: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=118

Ping-Statistik für 216.58.207.142:
    Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0
    (0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 7ms, Mittelwert = 6ms

Output of curl using Termux:

duckduckgo.com works google.com doesn't work

If I do a ping using Termux terminal, I get the same result as for adb shell ping

PS: since you can see the Avast icon on the last two screenshots: I had it uninstalled for quite some time without any improvement.